Tuesday 25 September 2012

Epigenetics ...

I was quite amazed when I first discovered the existence of such wonderful science happening in the very cells of my own body.

It is amazing because of what it is. I can't believe that we are not taught this at school.

Epigenetics - could hold the key to many unanswered questions in science, particularly the science of diseases.

So what is it? 

Epigenetics is the mechanism that is beginning to explain we are not just a product of nucleotides sequenced together. Genes can be switched on and off through different environmental factors.

This explains why identical twins - with the exact same DNA - suffer from different diseases and at different points in life.

I am reading Tim Spector's 'Identically Different' for the second time - it's really interesting. I'll come back and discuss some really interesting issues raised in there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment