Thursday 20 September 2012

Keeping up the Olympic Spirit!!!

Okay many of my pedantic friends will tell me that I don't need the 3 exclamation marks for the title. Honestly, I'm just so excited after the Olympics and for sport in general and I can't hide it. Really.

I'm sure there is not a single soul in this country who has not been affected by the Olympics - I mean come on, when are people going to talk about something other than the weather for casual talk?

That's one for a change.
Anyway - yep the positives of the Olympics have been highlighted enough for the media - i don't need to go on about it. however this instance has drawn my attention to gene doping.

I hadn't even heard of the idea before this Olympics. It's shook me to the core. No exaggerations.

Let me give you some background details:
So gene doping is essentially doping by manipulating your genes in particular the genes that are going to enhance your body's performance e.g. the EPO gene that controls red blood cell production. By adding a more enhanced version of the gene, you get more RBC production et voilĂ  more endurance because you can carry more oxygen, hence more aerobic respiration for energy.

This sounds cool.

But, unfortunately this is not allowed. The WADA (world anti-doping agency) are now running genetic tests to see if people are using this. Some people get out of this, I mean how small are genes and how complex are they? So, its not easy to see if you've faltered.

By not using this all that will happen is maybe losing out on a Gold medal (I've heard that losing a gold to a silver is the most disappointing). However, by playing with genes - unmarked territory - you are playing with not only your genes that could potentially develop mutations and then  into cancers - but also if these genes are passed onto future generations we don't know yet what the effects will be.

Should we risk affecting future generations for a gold medal?

Put into perspective that sounds silly doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment